RM is the leading provider of ICT software, infrastructure and services to UK education. With a shift to eCommerce from face-to-face sales, RM were looking for a solution that would allow them to increase the ROI of their emails without an increase in the time they would have to spend creating the email campaigns.
- Increase ROI
- Reduce time spent on email campaign creation
- Deliver relevant and personalized content
A low cost spring campaign, to reactivate lapsed customers and increase revenue for under-performing customer groups. Not only was historic customer transaction data used and combined with predictive campaign data, but live data feeds from web analytics and email responses were used to adjust the campaign in real time.
This segmentation was then used in conjunction with Adestra reporting and automated email campaigns functionality to resend to non-openers 1 week later. There was also an automated abandoned basket campaign based on the same functionality and conversion tracking to follow up those who clicked on flagship products. These campaigns had further offers to entice the recipient.
- 196,350 emails sent with 156 different variations dependent on customer behaviors
- Average 12% opens, beating non segmented campaigns by 4x
- Average 1.2% click through with peaks of 6%
- Achieved ROI of 22:1 vs the target of 12:1
- B2B Marketing Award winner in the category of Best use of data
- B2B Marketing Award runner up in the category of Best limited budget campaign
The level of tracking we used in this campaign is unprecedented at RM. We tracked online and offline purchases, customer journeys, discovered barriers to purchase and overcame them, for example, sending a reminder email to those who stopped at basket stage.
Our Spring Offers campaign involved working with product managers, design teams, marketing and sales teams. Initially, the steep learning curve and amount of resource required for this campaign was a risk. However, the risk paid off even better than we had hoped for. We are already using the same tools and strategy for the Summer 09 Offers campaign and we hope to experience the same, if not improved degree of success. Senior Marketing Executive, RM Education