5 email accessory ideas to make you stand out from the crowd
1. Social sharing
Fact: According to a 2012 report by GetResponse, emails that include social sharing buttons have a 115% higher click through rate than those that do not.
SHOCKING: Just 18.3% of email marketers included social sharing buttons in their emails.
Social sharing can offer you potentially limitless publicity, but it’s not enough to simply stick a few social website icons at the end of your email. If you want your customers to share your message you’re going to have to work at it.
- Create unique content that your customers will want to share.
- Incentivise sharing through a competition or other motivation.
- Prominent calls to action: don’t just expect them to share, invite them to.
- Appeal to their emotions.
2. Live content
It might sound a bit gimmicky, but there are some great widgets out there to allow you to display live content to your customers, tailored to their location, time, device and social behaviour. Personalisation is everything.
- Live countdown clock (e.g. until delivery of item / time of gig).
- Location targeting (e.g. nearest store / closest restaurant).
- Social stream (e.g. latest Twitter or RSS content).
- Real time weather (e.g. to promote seasonal products or events).
3. Optimise imagery to suit time of day
Using an image timer can allow you to display different images at different times of the day. This technique can be used to tailor content for multiple time zones, and is great for personalising your emails and creating up-to-the-minute content. You could:
- Tailor the image to reflect the time of day – e.g. socialising / working / eating etc.
- Reveal an image at a specific time – e.g. to coincide with a new product or book launch.
- Set up an image countdown – e.g. to build up towards the end of a sale.
4. Personalised recommendations
Product recommendations, tailored to an individual’s habits and preferences, are one of the most effective personalisation methods used in eCommerce today, and can offer significant retail benefits according to leading software specialists Peerius:
- Gain sales uplift of up to 20%.
- Increased average order value of up to 50%.
- Increase email conversion rates by up to 18%.
5. The humble postscript
The power of the P.S. as a marketing tool was first demonstrated in 1986 by Professor Siegfried Vögele, Dean of the Institute for Direct Marketing in Munich. He used eye cameras to prove that the average recipient of marketing correspondence looked first at the greeting and signature of a letter, and then, at the P.S.
In other words, the first words your customers will read after their own name and yours, is your postscript. This research is as relevant today in email marketing as it was then. Consider using this powerful marketing accessory as:
- A call to action that your clients just can’t resist clicking on.
- An added bonus offer or one-off deal.
- A testimonial to your product or service.
- To emphasise your unique selling point, but from a new angle.
So next time you are considering your email marketing, consider your basic design and then take it to the next level with a carefully chosen accessory or two.