Test these four conversion optimization tips to get more email sign ups
Need some inspiration on how to encourage your potential customers to sign up to your email list? Look no further, here are a few tips on how to do just that.
Make it so easy, they can’t resist it
Don’t overwhelm your potential subscribers with a long list of questions on sign ups as this could lead to people simply abandoning the form. Imaginary Landscape tried reducing their form fields from 11 to 4 and had a 120% increase in conversions.
Using a simple form which only asks for their email address and name can make the sign up process quick and appealing. You can then gather more data about the subscriber using progressive profiling, and keep it up to date with a preference center.
Location, location, location
Think carefully about the placement of your email sign up box. Consider adding it to every page, and test different positions on the page to give it optimum stand out. Experiment with pop-ups to see what effect this has on your conversion rate. You won’t know which strategy to use until you try.
Highlight the benefits and set expectations
When signing up to receive emails, contacts want to know ‘what’s in it for me?’, so entice potential subscribers with an incentive. This could be an exclusive whitepaper, a discount code, or a free trial or sample.
Ensure you outline at the sign up point, or in the welcome email, what subscribers can expect to receive from you. By setting expectations, you lower the risk of complaints and unsubscribes.
Expand your reach with social media
Do you have a large social media following? There are many ways in which you can encourage your followers to also sign up to your email list. You can get more practical tips from our guide ‘Integrating Social Media and Email Marketing‘, but here are just a few ideas:
- Twitter’s Lead Generation Cards: use this function to expand your content to encourage consumers to sign up to your list.
- Facebook sign-up tab: this simply embeds a sign up form on your page, and it’s placed at the top so it doesn’t get lost among your other posts.
- Competitions: Running competitions across your social sites is a great way to encourage sign ups to your mailing lists. But make your readers aware that they will be added to your list by doing so. Media 10 used this successfully for their Star Trek event and gather an impressive 12,000 new contacts.
- Keep your form short and sweet
- Find the golden spot for placement
- What’s in it for me? – Make the answer irresistible to the reader
- Use your social channels to expand your reach
There is no time to lose, test these ideas and you could see your email sign ups soar!