Some key considerations for achieving SMS marketing success
Putting off adding text messages to your marketing strategy in fear that it is too intrusive to recipients? Or you simply don’t know where to start? Here are a few tips for achieving SMS marketing success without annoying your customers.
Let’s start with a few key facts about SMS:
- 98% of text messages are read
- 91% of adults have their mobile phone within arm’s distance
- 16% of smartphone users made a purchase after receiving an SMS message from a brand
How to optimize the SMS channel
As with email marketing, you need to make sure you have permission to send messages to your contacts. Sending without permission is not only illegal, but can harm the reputation of your brand.
When people opt in to receive SMS messages from you, communicate clearly what your recipients can expect to receive and make sure to deliver on your promises. As you would in a welcome email series, your new subscribers should be aware of the type of information they’ll receive, how often they should expect your messages and what to do to stop receiving messages if they ever wish so.
Pay attention to frequency
As mentioned, SMS text messaging is an intrusive form of communication, so be mindful of frequency. Recipients do not want to receive marketing texts every hour from a brand. This will only increase your subscriber churn. Aim for 2-4 times a month to keep your recipients happy.
Make opt-out easy
Although your SMS messages can have the most exclusive exciting content, there may be instances where recipients may like to opt-out. Respect their decision and don’t make this process to complicated. Using a simple opt-put such as Text STOP to a particular number will do the job just fine.
Content will help you retain them for longer
Make sure your content is engaging, relevant and has a purpose. Do not send messages just for the sake of it. Make sure you are offering something of value to your recipients. Here are a few ideas to help you get started with that:
- Promotion Codes: Everyone loves an offer, so send a discount code via SMS to encourage subscribers to convert. And test to see what is most appealing to your audience. Perhaps offering free delivery, or a discount only if they purchase for a minimum amount, can attract higher value consumers.
- Delivery information: Alternatively, you can use SMS to keep your customers up to date on when their purchases will be delivered.
- Charity donations: Make donating an easy process for your recipients by asking them to text a keyword such as ‘donate’.
Find out more about mobile marketing strategy to the next level by watching the webinar ‘Taking Mobile Email to the Next Level in 2015’ in the archive.